Welcome to the website of the Danby Group Parish Council.
The Danby Group Parish Council is the third tier of local government serving the rural communities of Danby, Castleton, Westerdale and Commondale together with parts of Fryup and Houlsyke, in the County of North Yorkshire.
The first Danby Parish Council was formed under the chairmanship of Joseph Duck on the 31st December 1894 and at that time the Parish was the responsibility of the Guisborough Rural District Council – the first precept requirement was £30!
The early record show some interesting developments, for example:
1896 The first application for a Money Order Office and Savings Bank at Danby was approved and in the same year Lord Downe gifted land to the Parish to enable Danby Churchyard to be extended.
1898 Orders were made for the provision of corrugated iron buildings to provide a means isolation for any cases of smallpox.
1924 The grand sum of £35. 5s was raised to go towards the erection of Whitby Memorial Hospital.
1934 The Parish Council was successful in lobbying for the provision of electric light in Castleton.
1936 The Parish came under the authority of Whitby Rural District Council.
1941 Electric light installed in the schools.
1948 Involvement in the proposal to give the North York Moors the status of National Park.
1965 After 10 years of pleading Danby school finally gets modern toilets
1972 Was somewhat a landmark year as representatives from Commondale and Westerdale were welcomed and the Danby Group Parish Council came into being.
Today nine Councillors represent the afore mentioned communities with the main service provision being the responsibility of Scarborough Borough Council and North Yorkshire County Council. The Parish Council does of course maintain strong links with the North York Moors National Park Authority especially in respect of planning issues and the photo above shows the North York Moors National Park Centre at Danby..